Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Gray Washed {faux} Wood

IMG_0656
If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you may have seen this treasure I picked up for $2 the other day.  I am not quite sure what it’s previous life was…maybe sewing box?  It reminds me a little bit of {this guy} and I am seriously loving how beautiful it turned…oh, and it was so simple!
Here is the glorious before…
photo (10)

All I did was give it a good cleaning, of course, and then simply dry brushed a Martha Stewart paint sample I had (Bedford Gray).  I wanted to give it a worn gray washed wood like appearance, so the brown base was perfect.  I used a basic bristle brush.  I dipped just the end in a little paint, dabbed in on a paper towel then lightly and quickly brushed the surface.  It literally took me under 5 minutes.
IMG_0642
I love how it picked up the amazing detail in the medallion and how the beautiful lines and curves are shown off.  It is a plastic material, but now has the appearance of carved wood. 
  IMG_0646    IMG_0645
I am not sure what her new life will be…maybe house some hair stuff…maybe makeup?…storage for my Rustik Chic supplies in my craft space?
I am sure however, I love price (2 bucks people!) and end result.


Linking up!
shabby creek cottageThe 36th AVENUEShare Your CreationsHOG
 
 

13 comments:

  1. I love it, Krista! It's amazing how the detailing on this box stands out even more with the painting you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Yes, I love how paint can instantly do that...so fun:)

      Delete
  2. As soon as you said it was plastic, I knew it used to be a sewing box. My Mom had one. I wondered what ever happened to it? Knowing her, she sold it in a garage sale! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking it was...thanks for letting me know! :)

      Delete
  3. A terrific improvement....love the way the medallion pops! Great Job! Shari

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazing, love the grey a perfect choice!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute. I think a make up box would be fun. Probably because I need one right now. I love the washed gray look. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your treasure! Love it! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow looks fantastic and can't believe it was so quick to achieve such great results. Gail x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! You really turned this piece into something beautiful! Amazing job!

    www.vivikstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a fabulous job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this exact same box! I found it at a thrift store for about $2. I think it was a sewing chest. It was originally avocado green. I redid mine as well and now it is a bread box in my kitchen! Here is a link: http://kraftykat76.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-funky-breadbox.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated! :)